Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Second First Day

I titled this post second first day because though it is the second day of the internship, it was my first day with Dr. Forrest.  This means a whole new facility with all new people.  This day was much different than my first.  It was a clinic day rather than a OR day.  I shadowed Dr. Forrest as she examined and checked in with patients. Though it wasn't quite as exciting as my first day, it was very interesting and gave me a peak into the other side of being a doctor.  One of the down sides of being a doctor is paper work.  Each individual patient comes with their own set of insurance forms, medical notes, prescriptions and tests.  I learned some about less invasive measures to treat a patient such as physical therapy and drugs rather than cutting them open.  I also got to see how it takes everyone in the facility to effectively treat the patient. You need the patient to give an accurate history and explain the symptoms so that the doctor can make a diagnosis.  You need the doctor to bring all the individual facts together.  You need the physical therapist to work with the patient on a regular basis for healing measures as well as preventative measures.  You need some one to file and organize the paper work, test, labs and other collected data already done on that patient.  You nee the x-ray technicians to get a clear image to inform the doctor.  All in all it was a good day.    

No comments:

Post a Comment